Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The King of Sack sacks up yet again, just to show us he can

Playwright David Mamet comes out, as a closet conservative, in this Village Voice post:
And, I wondered, how could I have spent decades thinking that I thought everything was always wrong at the same time that I thought I thought that people were basically good at heart? Which was it? I began to question what I actually thought and found that I do not think that people are basically good at heart; indeed, that view of human nature has both prompted and informed my writing for the last 40 years. I think that people, in circumstances of stress, can behave like swine, and that this, indeed, is not only a fit subject, but the only subject, of drama.

To me, it doesn't matter if you are a lefty or a righty, as long as you come to your philosophy with a good amount of thoughtfulness and, more importantly, sack. Whatever you believe, just sack the hell up and let 'em have it. You will deal with the whiny little bitches who criticize your decision, no matter what it is. In this case we have the sackless wonders over at Gawker:
David Mamet, estimable playwright of certified masterpieces like American Buffalo and (in my humble opinion) The Cryptogram, really needs to shut the hell up. Well, at least he needs to stop writing essays like the one in this week's Village Voice...

The comments are even worse. Dude, you work for a fucking gossip blog. He's David "Fuck you, that's my name." Mamet. Your sack isn't even worthy enough to be David Mamet's shoe-shining shammy.

Here's Alec Baldwin in Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross, teaching the Sackin' Up Method for Advanced Users:

No comments: